Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hiking up behind the Punakha lodge

There is a temple up on top of the hill behind the lodge in Punakha. I heard that the walk was nice but a little steep, however the views from the top were very beautiful of the valley.  I decided to go up for a walk alone, without guide. Why would I need a guide, it's a straight line (or so I was told).  Well, it was beautiful and it was nice, but it was not a straight line. And the altitude played havoc on my lungs, as I had to stop frequently to catch my breath.  At one point I called a friend and asked "Where the fuck is this temple?" and "is it worth it for me to keep going up and around" (straight line my ass!)   But I kept going and made it to the top, and was very happy that I did.  The temple on top is simple and quaint, but that is one thing that makes it so nice.  It's authentic and not too done up, like other tourist site.s  They were making butter candles for puja the next day so I made one for them as well (you can see it below on the wood in front of the other candles).  Before I left, this old lady yelled at me to come back and then she gave me a handful of sweet potatoes. I politely declined, but she wouldn't hear of it so in the end I took a few and they were delicious.  On the way down I noticed there was a great view of the Punakha Dzong in the distance through the valley.  

It was a great hike and well worth it. I did miss the trail once and slipped off the side, pulling a muscle in my leg as I fell, but with every high sometimes comes a slip or two.












No comments:

Post a Comment