Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A little trip to North Korea

well, sorta to north korea. I went on the USO DMZ tour last week. It's a total touristy type day trip up to the DMZ and surrounding areas. When asked how it was I was sort of struck with a "well it's just one of those things you need to do when here. It isn't exciting or fun but it isn't bad. It's just sort of bleak." I left with the feeling, even more so than usual, that politics are stupid. War is even more lame. We kept being told about all the propaganda going on in North Korea and I kept wondering how much of what we're told is propaganda... but that is a story for another day. All in all I am glad I went and I'd recommend it to others when in Seoul just don't expect amazing things.



Those mics and flags on the table, that's the technical line between north and south korea. so i'm taking this shot from the north korea side. woooooo (not so exciting since we are inside a peace agreement building.



myself and a south korean mp



South Korea has all these "special" guards at the dmz. they are in different garb, wear cool sunglasses and stand in jiu jitsu stance while always facing north korean buildings. they wear these things and stand like this to be intimidating.



if you look at the building in the back you can see two north korean soldiers. closest we came to them :(



South Korean special guards and two peace buildings. in the background is a north korean building.



that marker... that's the line of demarcation. we weren't allowed near as apparently a lot of land mines are still around these areas.

that tower thing in the background is actually a north korean flag. it was huge. each country kept upping the size of their flag to out do the other. eventually North Korea got to have the bigger flag and South Korea the higher pole. no joke.



the bridge of no return



inside one of the found secret north korean tunnels. cameras weren't allowed but being american i of course brought my iphone and snapped some shots.

me with a hard hat :)

inside one of the found secret north korean tunnels. cameras weren't allowed but being american i of course brought my iphone and snapped some shots.



If only the line was running i could take a train to north korea. soon this will be up and running again and connecting to the trans siberian


No comments:

Post a Comment