Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, June 25, 2010

nishiki market in Kyoto

The Nishiki market is a covered street stretching many blocks in downtown Kyoto. It houses everything from fish to veggie to beef to chicken to crackers to clothing to a famous knife maker to... well you get the idea. i love walking this strip. the sights and smells are extraordinary. I always know i'll try something I've never had before when i enter the market strip.




anyone want an octopus lollipop? those wondering, I did not try one.


Fish cakes and balls. I got on in the front, second to right. bacon wrapped giant fish ball. Super tasty. sort of like bacon wrapped scallop


there is quail in front, eel livers on a stick, and then tons of other things that i have no idea what they are


instead of soaking in nuka (a rice bran ferment) these pickles are soaked in a sake leftover ferment. it smells pungent but i like the taste. I bought a small watermelon one. it's pictured in the back left.


fish things and i have no idea what else. one thing is this eel related thing that i have no idea what i was eating, but tasted great


fish anyone?


i bought some saba zushi here. apparently it's the forerunner to sushi. mackeral and rice with a vinegar brushing and wrapped in seawead i think. i need to research more. I plan to eat it on the bus tonight. you can see the other one they had. its in the front center bottom and has a 1200 yen tag on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment