Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Under African Skies and US Homes


"This is the story of how we begin to remember
This is the powerful pulsing of love in the vein
After the dream of falling and calling your name out
These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain"


I listened to "Graceland" by Paul Simon for much of my cross country trip. 25 years after its inception and it still sounds so poignant and beautiful. "Under African Skies" in particular was really ringing in my head. Besides a funky African bass line and cool upbeat guitar rhythms it also has lyrics that stick in your mind. Ever the poet, Simon has a way of capturing feelings, thoughts and moments in lyrics and song. As I drove and discovered a new (to me) America I truly felt a connection to my roots and of beginning to remember what I may never have even known.


I'm on a bus to NYC today and tomorrow will fly to Bali to start a training course. I stopped by my moms work to say goodbye and made sure to give her a hug. The last one for a while. Being a "real man", I tried to suppress my sadness and emotions but it was an disheartening moment . I will be stepping from the comfort of my roots where the flow of love surrounds me into a void of unknown. While I know that I'll be safe and fine, it is still hard to say goodbye to your parents. Harder more when you've just come back from 2.5 years of not seeing them and don't know how long it will be this time. But I have no fear or worries about it. I look forward to the next hug but move onwards into the null sea of unknown, only knowing that my roots remain.




No comments:

Post a Comment