Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 17 - Still in Tongook


Well, I didn't sleep so well. The floor was stiff (as it should be), the mozzies were biting like wild fire, and at 4am there was a huge commotion in the lobby, where I was sleeping.. on the ground.   I boarded a tuk-tuk to the boat and was told the price was 21,000kyat (about $25usd) but when I got there they wanted $35. I'm sort of used to this sort of bullshit but I just couldn't afford it. It wasn't just a $10 increase but because of the poor ferry scheduling, I'd be stuck in Sittwe for 2 nights and sittwe has no inexpensive places to stay (nor clean either from what I've read). I just wanted to see Mrauk-U but in typical corrupt government ways, they make something easy so difficult (because they don't want foreigners to see how they are treating local people. Rumor is they persecute a group of people really bad there)  So after throwing a commotion and hoping to get on the boat, I was thrown off. Basically they told me I can't go to Sittwe because it's dangerous.  That should be my choice if I want to live in danger or not. I also don't give a shit about Sittwe, just want to see Mrauk-U which doesn't sound like it will happen.  

A nice thing did happen though, as I got back to town I was able to find a certain dish that I've been looking for since being in Burma.  Oong Naw khao suey.  In lao I ate a lot of Khao soi and I liked eating it a lot in northern thailand.  Both countries have different variations of the dish, but I read somewhere a while ago that the food comes from Burma originally and the dish sort of travelled south through the different peoples (northern Thai, Lao and eastern Burmese people all share similar lineage).  I liked the dish and am glad I finally got to taste it.

Now I have a bunch of hours to wait until I can take a bus back to Yangon. From there I need to figure another plan out for heading south.  Trying to be happy and present but its a bit tough.  Though this is all part of life.  ups and downs….


No comments:

Post a Comment