Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 13 - Strategy Day


Not my most exciting day. I had the day to plan what next.  Do I go to this 10 day silent meditation (vippassana) retreat or do i go to  the Rakhine state and see Mrauk-U, which I really wanted to see as it looked amazing and a little harder to get to. (and I love a good travel challenge)   The vippassana sounds amazing and something I've wanted to do for a while, but it cuts into a large chunk of my time here and it is something I can do in many other places around the world.  I was able to find a different meditation centre in the south that didn't have a 10 day course but allowed, essentially, drop-ins. I decided that I would go there instead as it would give me more time to see the country, including visiting the Rakhine state.  I should mention that everyone told me not to go to Rakhine state. Why? Well, apparently some muslims may have raped a buddhist girl there and war broke out. I find it difficult to think of buddhists with guns. I have this picture in my head of monks with AK-47's.  Because of the conflict, the military stepped in and declared martial law. You can't be outside from 6pm to 6am. This intrigued me somewhat, but more so I just really wanted to go to Mrauk-U.  I hope it is worth it.

So today I planned for these two things, meditation in the south and Rakhine area. I also reorganized my luggage to leave things at the guesthouse as I have a lot of extra clothes I'm not wearing and wanted to drop my packs weight down to bare minimal.  With the nastiness of the Yangon rainy season, a lot of the time was spent indoors and not too exciting, but planning days are needed, so sorry I don't have any fun pictures of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment