Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 18 - Into Mawlamyine


I made it to Mawlamyine after basically 24hours of straight travel.  There was a small pit stop in Yangon where I had to fight through the hassle of buying a bus ticket. The price was changed numerous times at different vendors, eventually I found one for the price I was quoted.  The bus would leave in an hour and a half, so I had time to get some breakfast and wait.  The ride to Mawlamyine was around 8 hours and when I arrived I hopped on a motorbike taxi to be taken to my guesthouse.  I was tired from the previous few days and planned to lay down but my room was rather moldy (where isn't? It is the wet season after all) and so I did my laundry and walked around a bit.  A fellow, Taka, who I'd met in Yangon and Inle was staying here so we went out to get some dinner and talk a bit about where we've been and where we plan to go.  I wanted to go to Hpa-An, the capital of the Kayin state and pretty close by. But the boat was no longer running as so many busses now go. The boat ride was the main reason I planned to go, as it sounded very pretty and relaxing, and if I couldn't go then I decided to head straight to the monastery where I planned to spend the next few days.  So in the morning, I'd leave.

The picture by the way shows the "lovely" water of Mawlamyine.  It is a quiet and sort of pretty town, but the water pollution is horrible.  Also, if you look closely you'll see what is maybe a dog or a goat floating in the water.



No comments:

Post a Comment