Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shanghai times

I'll be honest, I didn't really want to go to Shanghai. I knew It's one of those places you're supposed to go to but I still didn't want to go. I don't know why, but I didn't. Then, a month or so ago in a period of two days, I found out that two people I knew were not only going to shanghai but also in the same time period. Both asked about seeing me. Clearly this was a sign to go. So I went. And I'm very glad I did.

I really liked Shanghai. The name may for some bring to mind seedy dark dirty streets, but Shanghai has really cleaned itself up for Expo and is a truly lovely and enjoyable city.

Having not fully rested in Nanjing, I came to Shanghai a little sick and rundown. I went to my good friend Steven's friend Indra's yoga class in hope of spiritual and physical cleansing.
though it was a lovely class, I think I pushed myself further than I should have and became more rundown and exhausted in every possible sense. I would spend the first part of the days in Shanghai with Naved, the office director of my former employer. He took amazing care of me and not only treated me to delicious meals but also put me up in his uber-nice hotel room, changing from a king to two twin beds. The plushness of the hotel definitely helped in my recuperation.

The end of the stay I was to meet up with Katy. My loyal readers may remember Katy from Kobe, Japan. A good friend of a good friend, I stayed with Katy and her awesome family for nearly a week 3 months prior in Kobe. Katy is beyond rad, and traveling with her was awesome. For the first time in so long, I didn't have to do any planning, a huge treat. Katy met me at a dumpling place her husband knew of from his visits here and it was quite divine. Divine and cheap! We'd meet up again for a crazy trip to Suzhou (but that is for a future blog post)

The yellow dish was a corn and cabbage specialty. I found it a bit bland. In front is shrimp dumplings in soup which was very simple but very appetizing. In the back right is a braised pigs tail. My first time with the tail and I'm surprised at how tasty it is. Mainly tendon and fat, two pig things I really enjoy. The tea in front was a honey lemon and something very green tea.

I was very run down so thought I'd get a massage. Then, being in China I figured I'd get my first cupping. Cupping involves using class "cups" to suction out the toxins in your body. The heat the rims of the cups and then twist them on your back, leaving them on you for for a while. The result is shown here. It doesn't really hurt but it does feel weird for sure. Apparently, the masseuse was able to read my back and told me that I was tired. duh!

The view left from outside of the Peace Hotel. This is the famous Oriental Pearl Tower.

Naved and I in the back of a rickshaw. Definitely a different way to view the city, from behind.

At the expo, in front of the USA pavilion.

the room in the historic Peace Hotel. Quite the change from my 8 person shared dank dorm room.

Who doesn't love a tv when in the tub?

Great shower, but more important are the comfy bathrobes.

and what room isn't complete without a set of his and her matching gas masks?

The Bund at night.

Yangs dumplings with Katy. YUM!!!

Tons of new (to me) types of gummies!!! I was in heaven.

My yoga teacher in Shanghai, the wonderful Indra. Besides great yoga, Indra also gave me some powder to mix with water to get me back in good health shape, some rose and chrysanthemum to make tea to heal myself and a dragon fruit for good measure. A truly loving and giving person that I'm so lucky to have been able to meet. I love when friends of friends become friends. Making this world a smaller more friendly place, one unit at a time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment