Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Around Beijing

So clearly I have internet today as I'm blasting out posts. I've been out traveling various small towns the last few days and just been off the internet and out in the wilderness! (which has been nice!!). Today I'm just throwing out blog updates as it's been a while and I don't want my readers to have to wait too much longer for them.

These are some pictures from all around Beijing during my 10 day stay there.

One of my favorite things to eat here are the street noodles. You pull up to a cart or window, point to the noodles and then they slap some veggies in, various sauces and oil and for 3-5 kwai (45-75 pennies) you get a delicious dish. From this place we also ordered a little bun.

Andrew's dog, Short-Round. He was a real cute little fellow. he also liked to pee everywhere and bit my toes.

Da Dong Duck house. Peking Duck with an artistic flair. Very tasty. in front were some crispy tomatoes stuffed with mushrooms. The highlight is in the back right. Duck tongue. it was not just the tongue meat but also followed the bone back to where it meets the back of the head. tasty, crunchy, different.

Jajangmein. In Korea if you order chinese food you generally will see jajangmen on the menu. It's what koreans think is chinese food. I love it and when I found it in Beijing I had to try it. I find the Korean version much heartier and prefer it slightly. though this was a bit more refreshing and crisp.

I took this picture as this cat looked so cute. S/he was just sleeping in the corner of the cage and hanging down. Looked near dead. I was later told that the chinese words beneath translate to "don't take pictures". whoops :)

These are wood cutouts of strippers or lady dancers. It's in a bathroom in a Sichuan restaurant and these cutouts are actually what separate then mens urinals from each other. I found it odd but very amusing.

Sichuan dinner. My friend Cindy took me out to dinner with some of her friends and we ate some delicious Sichuan food. This was only part of what we ordered. Highlights were the red bowl in front which was very spicy and ducks blood in it. I definitely used a lot of napkins to wipe the sweat from my face and the spice from my lips.


No comments:

Post a Comment