Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

bringing home the bacon

My first week in Beijing found me staying at Andrew's apt. Andrew is a friend of Greg, and Greg worked with Jocelyn in Mongolia where I met him (and drove a tank with him).
One day while talking about food Andrew told me how easy bacon was to make, so we decided to make some.


The first thing we did was go to the local meat market.


We actually bought our meat from a different vendor but I liked this shot as not only do you have entrails and hoofs but you also have in the back of her table (near the ice tea bottle) pig ears and pig tails.


With the meat purchased and ready to go, we prepared our salt rub and cut the meat in half.


Sprinkled on the rub. The rub is what helps cure the meat (and make it even more tasty)


Rubbing it in. You really want to get the rub up in the junk of it all for flavor and safety reasons.

Sadly, I left before the meat was ready to taste. But I did get some of the principles down for knowledge sake. It's something I'd like to try doing again (and again) at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment