Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A day in Nanjing

So I'll be honest with you. I came to Nanjing with one purpose in mind, to get free vegemite. While in Beijing I met an Aussie who lived in Nanjing and his program always sent him tubes as part of their care packages. (I've been told of many Aussie programs that do this, btw).

I wasn't able to meet up with Rory, but I did meet a nice Brit in my hostel and we went out and had a lovely time walking around the town and then catching this beautiful water show in a park. The highlight of the water show was this ADORABLE maybe 18 month year old chinese boy next to us. He just kept dancing the whole time in this cute and funny little way. Scared of me at first, by the end he was coming up and sitting next to me. Another baby win for Rosenstock!

I really was not into the city at first, partly because my cab driver couldn't find the hostel and took me to two different ones. After an hour I just got out, paid him some money and got into another cab. Well, when I say "got into" I mean I took the keys out of this new cab and went up to the driver who didn't want to go and shook them in front of him saying "let's go. keys. now." Chinese cab drivers can bring out the worst in me. Eventually I got to the hostel and all I wanted to do was rest. I needed a day off from the constant go and the long days of tours. The water show and people there really made me sort of like Nanjing more, but I don't think I'd go back there again as Shanghai and Suzhou are close by and I just liked them tons more.

a section of Nanjing, all lit up on the water. People would take these fun boat rides. We wanted to but the queues were massive.

same view but more to the left.

lit up pagoda

the water show is beginning. There are dancers on the bridge and they're coming to the stage.

dancers on stage, singer on a boat

this was a dragon dance.

A fisherman song and dance.

singing on the moon

lotus peddle dance sequence. There was a big one and small ones in tow. In a different song, girls were inside the big lotuses singing and dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment