Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thoughts from the Road in Tibet


I wrote this over a month ago while traveling in Tibet. 

Sitting in a jam packed van heading from Lhasa to Shigatse to eventually visit everest, I have a lot of time to think and reflect on recent weeks. Being in Tibet I realize now more than ever how fortunate I am in life. I'm sure my life could be much better in so many ways, but it could be so much worse. Americans, and many westerner for that matter, have such a grave amount of freedom that we're just so blind to. We grow up with it and it becomes a second nature, something we don't know otherwise about. But being in Tibet and seeing the militarized regime that is there, seeing soldiers with guns and other weapons stationed everywhere, hearing how the people there can not leave their region of the country (and I won't get into politics of china's overtaking of the land but I will say that being here and with Tibetan people has changed my view of the situation.) absorbing all these and other facets that are all around me here has shown me in so many lights how lucky I am. And I am grateful, believe you me. What I now feel that I need to do is find a way to give back to those less free. To help others, strictly because I am able too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment