Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another older thought.

I wrote this over a month ago but it got lost in the shuffle. my thoughts and feelings are a bit different now but I wanted to share this with y'all anyways. Emotions when traveling can run the gamut from exceedingly happy to depressingly sad. Having just left Kunming, my home for the last month, I'm a little sad. But arriving in Xixuangbanna with warm weather and lovely thai style architecture, well that makes me happy. anyways, enough chatter. here's the writing.



I've just finished reading a Bill Bryson book and near the end when he talks about going back home he recounts all these reasons why he's happy to be going back. Though none of them I can relate to, I can relate to the feeling of being excited to go home. As I read it some tears start to form in my eye. I too look forward to going home, though I also don't feel fully ready to be back stateside. I was asked yesterday about what I miss and I said "family, friends surfing, and burritos with real nice guacamole." That was it. But upon reading the aforementioned, I think I miss more minute things. I miss things that are just a part of our daily lives that you can't have in other parts of the world. Knowing what the distance and temperature actually are (curse our US units of measurement). Being able to get a good or at least decent cup of coffee, in at least a few shops, in any town you stop at. Being able to call (or even talk in person) with most anyone you care to talk with at ease and not have to hope for a decent internet connection to have a have garbled skypecall from across the world. And don't tell my mom this, but I miss her hugs. Of course I'm not complaining more observing how there are these little things in everyday life that we take fully for granted. Half a ramble later let me tell you that though i feel these things and miss home a bit, I'm still loving this adventure and have no plans to return stateside anytime too soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment