Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, January 7, 2011

My mate just left...

My mate just left. I've spent the past month in Kunming with my dear good friend Liam. We met in Busan, South Korea around 6 months earlier and hit it off from the get-go. He provided a roof for me here in Kunming, knowledge of the city and chinese language, as well as a community of good people. But most importunely he provided a good close friend to chat with everyday, himself.

There has hardly been a day I haven't seen Liam since I came to Kunming, now what for tomorrow, or the next day? To me Kunming is mostly associated with Liam, and now the two are separated.

As he walked away through the train station, all I could see was his backpack slowly getting further away. It was hard for all of us standing there. It seemed like something out of a movie. A main character leaves to board a train while his close friends and loved ones watch through the stations front windows as he slowly disappears. In the background sad slow music or narration should have been happening. And softly underneath it would be the sounds of his girlfriend, wailing out loud with wet, red eyes.

But it was his time to go, a new chapter to start for him, and I was reminded of how I too will be leaving soon. I've been here in Kunming around a month and though I have a love/hate relationship with Kunming (and china for that matter) I will be sad to leave both. But that is the path of the traveler. And soon I'll be in Vietnam meeting up with Kaja and Adam, my friends from Poland met in Tibet. And again another chapter will begin in this unpredictable but amazing story that is my life.

Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment