Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Monday, April 19, 2010

pocket full of secrets


Phantogram and the xx both started getting buzz around the same time a year or two back. Both somewhat similar, boy/girl duo's writing electronic tinged music heavy on a lead guitar. For some reason the xx really started to blow up and Phantogram's name hasn't caught the same type of attention.

This somewhat puzzles me as I find Phantogram more enjoyable to listen to and IMO they are much more talented songwriters. Their sound is more polished and the lyrics they write have more texture and depth to them. After repetitive plays to Phantogram's full length "Eyelid Movies," I find that I can keep returning to it and still find it enjoyable. Each song has a slightly different feel and sound to it. the xx's self titled debut however I played solidly for about a week straight and started to hear too many similar themes and sounds. Oddly, though I was sick of and bored with the album, I still kept listening to it. So maybe there is something more to the xx. Maybe.

But for now, I'd rather listen to Phantogram, and I highly recommend them for you too. The song in this post is the first track on their full length (and I believe it may be first on the EP as well). It's a well written song about a relationship on end because her partner is a drug addict and has made too many promises of getting clean but never follows through with said promises. She knows it isn't his fault but the addictions and she just can't waste her own life on it anymore so it's time to move on.

"because the patterns they control your mind
those patterns take away my time
hello, goodbye"

I've been a big fan of track 7 on the album as well, "You Are The Ocean." There is a line of the lyric that reads "Cause you are the ocean, and I'm good at drowning." Maybe it's just the ethereal tone of the song mixed with these words, but for some reason I find great poetic beauty in this song. Or maybe it's just because I love the ocean and am a sucker for sad love song. Either way, do yourself a favor and check out phantogram's work.


If the link above isn't working, then please click this to hear the song.

1 comment: