Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

My trip to the Hahoe Folk Village

Last week one of the workers here took me to the Andong to go to the Hahoe Folk Village. Here is what wikipedia has to say about the village.

"The Hahoe Folk Village in Andong, Gyeongsangbuk-do Province is listed by the South Korean government with UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The village is a valuable part of Korean culture because it preserves Joseon-style architecture, folk traditions, valuable books, and old tradition of clan-based villages.

The village is located on the Hwachon Stream which is a tributary of the Nakdong River. To the north of the village is Buyongdae Cliff while Mt. Namsan lies to the south. The village is organized around the geomantic guidelines of pungsu and so the village has the shape of a lotus flower or two interlocking comma shapes." more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahoe_Folk_Village

It was really interesting to see the older style thatched roofs still being used and to see them next to the more modern tiled roofs.


thatched roofs next and the mountains in the distant


me in front on Samsindang. the next picture will describe Samsindang in more detail


detail of Samsindang


thatched roofs next to tiled roofs


And these pictures are from Park's blog. he liked taking pictures of me, i think it's somewhat exciting for koreans to talk with americans/foreigners as not so many come here, especially outside of Seoul and Busan.


Park and I in front of Samsindang


sakuras (cherry blossoms) and me


sakuras (cherry blossoms) and me



i like the coloring in this shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment