Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The hardest part about travel are the goodbyes

Well, it happened. I said my goodbyes to the Santisuk crew. Mr Keum picked me up this afternoon and we headed north and west to Joam, South Korea. It was a very beautiful ride filled with half conversations of Mr Keum speaking a semi broken english (very good at that too) and me trying to decipher it (not so good on my end). we made a restroom stop where various foods were bought. A hamburger that was very tasty, but I'm pretty positive it had no "meat" in it. A hot dog that had onions inside of it on a stick. (we all know any food on a stick is already better than non-stick food) Some boiled potato snack (not loving potatoes I didn't pay too much attention to this. and the most interesting thing was the walnut cakes. Walnut cakes are little cakes filled with red bean and shaped like a walnut. I tried to capture them in picture form, but don't know how great they came out.

After getting to Joam, we stopped by Mr Keum's farm. We had to cover the pumpkins in the green house. It was definitely an experience. We pulled off onto this dirt road and not only was it extremely cold but it was also near pitch black outside. My initial thoughts were, "shit, i could be killed here so easily and no one would know." How American my thinking. This country is so safe and friendly. Still, the cautiousness was there. Of course, Mr Keum is not a killer, but a super friendly organic farmer. After he was done doing what needed to be done we left for dinner. Mr Keum took me this little spot and ordered us some sort of soup that I didn't get the name of. It was delicious. Salty with noodles, little jalapeno spice, and clams. I didn't love the kakktuggi there but the kimchi was very nice.

After dinner I was taken to my lodging, a local high school. This is where I currently am writing this from, though I imagine it won't be posted for at least a day as there doesn't seem to be internet here. bummer. though in some ways it is very nice to be disconnected.


walnut cakes


walnut cake bag


beautiful sunset



Mr Keum at dinner.


a nice clam noodle soup


1 comment:

  1. That is the clam soup that I wanted to eat with you beside JMart in Jinbu. Heheh..I love it very much!!

    ReplyDelete