Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Happiness is what we all want

"Happiness is what we all want
May it be that we don't always want"

The opening track off of the new Hot Chip album, "Thieves In the Night" took a little time to grow on me. Actually, the album did as a whole but it's slowly growing on me. Opening tracks are generally supposed to be the starting bang, with a track somewhere between 3 and 5 being a hook to reel you back into the album. This song definitely does just that. Lead single, "I Feel Better" does it's job at space 3, but that is a song for a different day.

I think the thing that got me hooked on this song is the lyrics. They aren't amazing, but sort of simple in a sweet way.

"A want is a lack but also desire
A need can be nothing but should be held higher
A need is a want wearing disguise
It can be confused if fuelled by desire"

Of course travel for extended periods of time brings up thoughts of want vs need. "I want that cool asian shirt for when i go home, but do i need it?" That is base level of want/need thoughts but you get the drift. It's confusing, especially when desire is added to the fire.

"My friend once told me something so right
he said to be careful of bugs that don't bite"

At first, I thought this was gibberish. But on further listens and thoughts it made more sense to me. a bug is still a pest regardless of if pain is caused.

But of course as the beginning of this blog shows, the chorus is what I really dig.

"Happiness is what we all want
May it be that we don't always want"

Having been discussing happiness, wants, needs, future plans.. etc with so many friends recently I know that pretty much everyone wants to be happy (masochists aside). So, may it be that we never want as we are always happy and our needs met.

Now, I'm off to go explore Seoul some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment