Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reunification Palace

Saigon is an interesting and lovely (in a way) place. But it isn't the best place to see exciting tourist things as there aren't that many. One place to visit is the Reunification Palace. Little history lesson: Reunification Palace (formally Independence Palace) was the home and workplace of the President of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. It was the site of the end of the Vietnam War during the Fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975, when a North Vietnamese Army tank crashed through its gates.

Though not the most glamourous of places to visit, there was some interesting things to see. Like most sights around Vietnam dealing with the war, propaganda was high but this is something you must expect. I was heavily unexcited during my visit but noticed that vietnamese people were really into being there. I imagined it would be like what visiting the White House was like for me as a child.

From the front gate

One of the tanks that crashed through the gates, proudly on display.

inside, a nice little garden

a meeting room in, what seemed to me, a heavily Asian themed conference style.

This was the old library, I really enjoyed it because it still had that feel of the 1960's and 70's. It reminded me of my elementary school which had this older unchanged feel to it.

notice the chair. Haven't seen this type for years.

helipad

my favorite part was the basement. this is one of the many corridors of tunnels in the basement. This also just had this 1960's/70's feel to it.

old radio equipment

more old radio equipment

strategic maps, placed with pins and drawings on them

what asian place is complete without a ping pong table?


No comments:

Post a Comment