Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, January 29, 2010

tennessee travelin' man

Well, this morning Jill flew home. Andy is all on his own now :( Very saddened by this.

I left Nola to head to memphis. Along the way north I stopped in some random town of Winona, MS for bbq. I really only stopped to eat bbq in MS because otherwise my whole Miss experience would have been about driving through the state and that's it. Seemed like i owed more to the state than just a quickie. The bbq joint didn't disappoint. Great, saucy ribs and tasty pulled pork. i liked it so much i went to thank the chef and ended up hugging her. Her name was Bertha and she was a large african-american woman.. a true bbq experience (for some reason i thought it would be a scrawny white dude... what do scrawny people know about bbq?)

memphis was cold and lonely. I got in sort of late and it took me a while to find a place that wasn't over $100 for the night.

When i woke up, i went downtown to historic Beale St and walked around there for a bit, then off to mail some packages and letters. next I ate some delicious bbq at interstate. I couldn't decide what to get so i go the sampler. It was way too much food, but that's ok. pork and beef ribs. brisket, pulled port, smoked link, beans, cole slaw and their signature bbq spaghetti (yum!!!!)

after lunch I toured the stax museum. Really nice little museum with tons of history and relics of the record label that helped shape so much music.

graceland and civil rights museum were closed, so I sadly was not able to take those tours... boooo

So, I decided to go to nashville for the night

upon waking up in Nashville, i did some yoga and then headed out for pancakes at the pancake parlor. amazingness! some of the best pancakes I've ever had... hands down. The liquid crack there (cinnamon and sugar syrup) really lives up to it's name. After, i spoke with J for a bit then headed home to kill some time before my city tour. The tour was nice, we did the Country music hall of fame, then the ryman auditorium for some Opry history. after, we hit some honky tonk bars and then a little history and architecture touring.

once dropped back at the hotel, i got in the car and drove 15min out of my way to loveless cafe for some of what they are known best for... biscuits and preserves... holy shit, they do not let you down. AMAZING! best biscuits i've ever had, and the preserves weren't too bad either. I decided to wash it down with some food, so i got some fried chicken gizzards... why? why not. I do have to admit, they were very tasty...

with food done, i was now on my way to Kentucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment