Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Monday, February 1, 2010

you can't forget the KY

Things that I never thought I'd say. "I really loved kentucky!"

I started the day with a leisurely ride from Bowling Green, KY to Mammoth Caves National Park. This cave is the longest natural occurring cave in the world, and is pretty impressive. I felt sort of bad for the tour guide that day, as i was riding on only caffeine and very "giddy" to say the least (lot of questions asked...) It's a two mile walk filled with slipper ground, tight squeezes, and for someone my size a lot of "watch your head" comments. When we were back outside, i was pretty excited as it meant I now got to drive an hour and a half out of my way to get some BBQ!!!! Kentucky BBQ, which means....wait for it.... MUTTON!! I never had mutton bbq before so i was rather excited. I got in the car and the GPS gave me a route. however this route ended up putting me on a single lane dirt/gravel road. It couldn't have been better as I got to see nature at it's best. Beautiful skies, bare trees, pure woods, and.... a doe. This little doe rambled in front of the car and then stayed about 25 ft away. We shared a few moments of staring at each other. I then tried to lure the doe to the car. I tried cat calls, weird noises, and even throwing gold fish near it hoping it would eat them and want more. I was a bit afraid to get out of the car as I don't know if deer are naturally friendly or not. I mean, it is a wild animal, right? Also the vultures nearby sort of freaked me out. I ended up yelling at the deer "Come here you. Get your deer ass over here." Of course, this didn't work so i drove on down this tiny little backroad. Eventually I got to the main roads and onto the highway and then arrived at Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn, what some call KY's best BBQ (mainly the management calls it that). Moonlite offers a BBQ buffet for $9.89. This is one thing I LOVE about the south. BBQ is CHEAP!!!! The buffet was huge, full of sides, a salad bar, porks, chickens, and mutton. There was also a dessert buffet of various cobblers (cherry, strawberry, blackberry) banana pudding, a lemon pie and then my favorite, bread pudding. and it was very good bread pudding, indeed! Then they also have a soft serve machine to dump ice cream all over your already caloric desert The mutton was a cool novelty for me, but I think pork is really my go to for BBQ. I know, a bad jew, right? Oh well.

From there I headed back cross the state to meet Sarah's boyfriend Danny. Originally we were going to get dinner or a drink and chill but I was so full from bbq and him tired from a long night before that we just chilled at his place with some of his friends. I actually pulled my computer out and did some prep work for the next few days of travel, what a good guest i am.

After a few hours there I headed out to Cincinatti to spend the night at the house of a good friend of my brothers from college. Very appreciatory for the Monarchi's great and short notice hospitality. Also, as an FYI, Mike makes a mean beef jerky.

Next stop, Cleveland and then more north


nature
beautiful open roads

spent the night in cincinatti with a friend of my brthers.
got up and headed out to cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment