Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Motorbiking to The Omnivores Dilemma

Having recently read "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollan I've found a new joy when driving through countrysides. I love to watch the cows, chickens and other animals co-exist in beneficial ways. Watching cows till the land, seeing the chickens pick through the cow dung to find grubs for food and then having the rest of the manure be left to fertilize the land. Things such as this fill me with an immense amount of joy and bring smiles upon smiles from with my lips. Not to get too preachy but as a US citizen I'm so disconnected from this natural environment. To the most of my fellow Americans we only think of chickens and cows coexisting together at the meat department of the local supermarket. But this habitat is how it's been since before man even domesticated animals.

It's very nice to get another view of how life can be lived. Moving forward isn't always progress. Technology doesn't always benefit society, or what seems like it may be better for us all (or just for big business) may not prove true over the longer period of time. But I'm not one to go too deep into all that. Right now I just love driving through countrysides, looking at animals and seeing how they live.


No comments:

Post a Comment