Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, October 29, 2010

You dirty rat...

Well, not so dirty, especially after you burn the hair off and then cook it. What am I talking about? Well in Guilin one of the local specialty foods is bamboo rat. Bamboo rat is a little different than the rat we know in the states. It looks more like a possum than a rat, though still not the cutest rodent in the world.
I met a local guy in Guilin through couchsurfing who knew of a spot to eat rat, so away we went. I wasn't too worried about getting the plague but I was worried about it tasting very nasty. Let's see what happens...

The bamboo rats in the cage, we get to pick the one we want to eat.

This is the guy we picked. notice in the right bottom corner you also see some turtles. I really wanted to try turtle here but didn't get the chance... maybe in the future.

up close and personal with the future main course.

Looks a lot different here, no? Tasted delicious, really I'm not just saying that. It had sort of a slight mutton taste but not too overwhelming but also a little taste of rabbit. Very boney which can be an annoyance but that's most foods in China. They really had a nice spice in the marinade. to the right were some very tasty and spicy Guilin mei fun (rice noodles).

All in all I'm glad I got the chance to eat rat. The only negative is that it's surprisingly expensive for what it is but I guess a lot of delicacies are this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment