Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Guangzhou eating is where it's at...

Guangzhou is a hot, humid, sticky, and relatively boring city. So why should one go there? (I was wondering this myself) DIM SUM!! Guangzhou is the capital of Guangdong province, known to the older US generations as Canton. When you break it down you realize Cantonese food (what most of the US chinese food is) is from here. Dim Sum reigns supreme and you can eat it nearly 24 hours a day, if you know where to go. And it's not crappy, lame dim sum by any means, this stuff is good. I mean great. I want to be friends with it, it's that good. Besides the food though, I can't recommend too much. There is a small town about 1.5 hours away that has two beautiful old temples on a river (blog to follow shortly on that) and GZ has some nice museums but mostly the city was quite lame. That said, still go. Go for the food! (little note. If you go to the right market and can speak the language you can buy ANYTHING to eat. Dog, cat, monkey... you name it. And no I am not joking. I actually sort of wanted to eat monkey, but more so to score up on a sort of joke with my fellow blogger Aaron Weintraub at fatherfolk.com)

and now the food pics

Dim Sum!! Dumplings, radish cake (one of my favorite dishes) chestnut cake (ehh...) and the Guangzhou special wide rice noodle dish. You can get this in the states but it usually is much smaller in three noodles and only has one thing inside (shrimp, pork, beef and mushroom are the usual suspects). This one had a variety of things inside and was very tasty.

BBQ'd garlic oysters. yum!

We went out for dim sum to a well known dim sum spot, but the restaurant was no longer serving at the time we went so we ordered some dishes instead. in the back left is a green bean and eel dish that was very good. The yellow rice was a guangzhou style fried rice. In front on the small dish was duck tongue. The big dish in front was lotus root and chestnuts. And the left front dish was pigeon. We also had a very good spicy fish head dish but it wasn't shown here.

The pigeon a little closer. It was cooked in a peking duck style and being that I don't love peking duck, I wasn't so much of a fan of this.

Some little girls stopped me on the street to ask me questions in english. Their orange cards in their hands have both english and chinese questions on it. They really had fun with me, or maybe I really had fun with them.

Went to a museum and checked out "Environment Chromatic Interferences" by Carols Cruz-Diez. It was a very interactive exhibit and I rather enjoyed it.

With my oncoming fever I had a slight headache so looking at pictures like this really hurt. The picture would somewhat change colors depending on your angle of viewing.

Guangzhou was founded by 5 gods who rode goats into the city. That is why there is a goat in this picture.

The museums sculpture garden.

So, I had a fever and how do you treat a fever in china? By eating healthy of course!!! A ginger broccoli dish, that I could have eaten for days. Congee in the middle. Seaweed and squidball soup in the back right and then my drink of lemon, ginger, sugar, and hot water. I do have to say, afterwards my body started to feel a bit better and the next morning I was nearly 100% healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment