Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A day on Hong Kong Island with Louie

I met Louie in Xiamen when I was heading south to Guangdong province and he was heading to see the Tulou buildings. Originally from Hong Kong but then transplanted to Australia and studies in Scotland, Louie was a nice guy and you could tell so from the minute you talked with him. He told me to contact him when I got to HK, and I sure as heck did. We met up with Tanja and Alex for a fun day out on Hong Kong Island. We started the day off with some authentic dim sum. We went to the type of place where they sit you where usually you sit with other diners at the same table. The cart get rolling around, but if you want something special you can just go up and grab it or ask for it. I thought i took pictures of the brunch but apparently I didn't. Alex and Tanja couldn't eat too much there because of there eating restrictions but I got a few of my favorite dishes in. It was tasty but the dim sum i'd have the next day blew it away (cliffhanger blog post!)

After dim sum we took the street tram around town and walked in various neighborhoods and through a few street markets. As it started to get darker we got on a bus to go to the top of the peak. From the the peak you can view HK's night skyline as well as the harbor. It's really a spectacular view and there is a reason it's on the list of "to do in Hong Kong."

Following our peak view and walking around up on top we headed back down and went to get some vegetarian food. Louie found a spot that was perfect, right near the bus stop and chock full of veggie dishes and fake meats. yum! Following dinner we split our seperate ways as it was already late and we'd spent a good deal of the day together. I was leaving HK in a few days but the other guys were both there for a month so I left each with the others contact info. Always in hope of connecting people, the old jewish lady matchmake inside of me is strong.

Louie, Tanja and Alex on the top deck of a street tram.

View from the peak. Sadly for this picture the fog was rolling in and not all the lights were on yet. You just have to use your imagination for how neon and electric the city will look at night.

vegetarian dining. To the left was bamboo fungus and mushroom coconut hot pot. In the middle was a mixed veggie noodle dish. in the front right was deep fried taro and honeydew milk. this was a little weird as the honeydew was ok but the deep fried milk part was just a little odd. in the back is a sampler of various mock meats in different sauces and styles. I loved these ones, especially the mock duck liver.


No comments:

Post a Comment