Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, July 6, 2012

First day in Burma

Yangon. Day 1

I arrive at around 9am and am very tired from little sleep in the few days previous leading up to this.  I spot another single traveller picking up luggage and ask her if she wants to split a cab to town. Soon there are three and after some serious time of haggling the price down, we head into town and I'm dropped at the guesthouse I pre-booked.  I was fortunate enough to have a friend who lives part of the year in Yangon so i called her up and made plans to meet for lunch.  Before I headed out to meet her I changed some money at a bank with a good rate and headed to the Sule Pagoda. Sule is a big and beautiful pagoda only a few blocks away from where I am staying.  For lunch I meet Moe Moe at some delicious restaurant. The choices are laid out buffet style and you pick what you want to eat.  She picked for us and though I don't really know what anything was, it was all delicious.  After we head to the market for her to show me around a bit and end up having her dad pick us up to show us some harder to reach pagodas.  Being really tired, I started to fall asleep in the car so after the second pagoda we all though it best for me to go back to the guest house and sleep.  Which I did for a little.  I woke up in the evening and went to get dinner, but the rain coming down was torrential.  So I went to the next corner and bought some take-away indian veggie thing.  I still don't really know what it was because on the way back home i realized the bag wasn't sealed and it had emptied out all over the insides of my day bag.  Luckily most things inside were pre packed in cases so my camera or other electronics didn't get dirty. But my bag was disgusting so I hand washed it. The only problem with this was it's the wet season so the air is always humid and the bag would never dry. (Fortunately, I was able to borrow a hair dryer from some travelers the next day and I spent a long time hand drying it.)  I decided to call it a night after that as I was tired and it seemed like a good time to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment