Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 3 - A visit to a different type of temple / Transit to Mandalay


Day 3 started off with some mohingha,  a local breakfast dish of rice noodles, and tons of other who knows whats.  After I booked a bus ticket for the evening to Mandalay and wanted to visit the Synagogue in town that I read about.  The Musmeah Yeshua Syngagogue was a remnant of the once thriving sephardic jews in the area. Now all gone, the temple still remains and has been actively restored and conserved by Jewish people around the world.  Very beautiful inside, and fitting that I went in on a sabbath.  It started to rain as I left so I went back to the guesthouse to kill time before my bus in the evening.  At the bus station I saw some sugar cane, and being that it's one of my favorite drinks in the hot weather I got a class.  The way they pressed it was very old fashioned.  In most of SE asia they use electronic rolling grinders, here it was much more manual and painstaking.  The bus stopped halfway to Mandalay at a giant rest area and I got a few things for dinner which I don't know what they all were but it was all super delicious. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment