Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 8 - Around Inle Lake


Having arrived in Inle so early you'd think I'd spend the morning sleeping in and getting caught up on rest, but that isn't how my body works. And a good thing too as today was the day of the 5day market in my area.  Every day the market switches through 1 of 5 markets and I was fortunate to be able to check it out.  I love going to fresh markets as it's where the town's hubbub is all around.  You can see local specialities and custom food and crafts only in these area.  The market seemed to be a lot about flowers, some fresh fruit and as expected in any water area… fish.  The market also had plenty of beans and little nuts.  After ambling around for a while I headed off to rent a bike for the day and pedal the countryside.  I had heard of a winery 5km away and off I went.  Now, one problem that I have in most asian countries is that the bikes are way too small for me. This means after a few km my whole body is aching from legs not extending properly, knees hitting handlebars, back pending too much and awkwardly as handlebar is too low and too close.  Yeah, it's always problematic. I made it to the winery and went on their tour. Nothing compared to the tours in napa, but actually really nice for Myanmar… and all of asia for that matter.  They had very nice equipment imported from Europe. At the end for a few dollars you can sample the wine, which I did. 4 small tastings of a rose, pinot blanc, late harvest and syraz.  Nothing super amazing, all sort of lacked a proper taste (though the late harvest could be a good sweet desert wine) but in asia one doesn't complain about grape based wines as they really don't exist.  

The rest of the day would be mellow as the following day I had booked a boat tour with a few other fellow tourists that I had met in other cities.














No comments:

Post a Comment