Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Hmong Ceremony part 4 - We Eat

A week or so ago I was fortunate to be able to attend a Hmong Ceremony where a friend was having her spirits cleansed. The night would involve watching a shaman do his thing, slaughtering a pig, hanging out with a Hmong family and cooking said pig. It was an amazing cultural experience and I left feeling so blessed that I live the life that I life. (this feeling lasted even when I got to my bike to find my helmet and tools stolen).

After the pig was killed it was brought out back and had hot water poured over it. This softens the skin and hair and then we used spoons to shave the hair from the body.

guts out and shaven

hollow cavity

soon to be cooked

cleaning the organs

the piece with the head and side ribcage is given to the shaman and his family. not a bad deal for them

cutting the meat

dinner is served. the pig was sacrificed and now we eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment