Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hmong Ceremony part 3 - Sacrifice

A week or so ago I was fortunate to be able to attend a Hmong Ceremony where a friend was having her spirits cleansed. The night would involve watching a shaman do his thing, slaughtering a pig, hanging out with a Hmong family and cooking said pig. It was an amazing cultural experience and I left feeling so blessed that I live the life that I life. (this feeling lasted even when I got to my bike to find my helmet and tools stolen).

The shaman is conversing with the spirits. This would last for over an hour and possibly over two. The pictures don't do it justice but the whole experience has to be exhausting for him

instruments are involved

He sits and bounces on this special bench

A spotter is there to help guide the shaman from the ground to the bench when he jumps down and then back up

they even let me help out.

and I get to play some music as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment