Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

This Sums Up Luang Prabang Pretty Well

Well, it sums up travel for the whole. I went out for some food after teaching yoga class tonight and ended up meeting some fresh of the boat (not that type of FOB) people at the table. They wanted to know where the good bars in town were so I told them but they seemed a bit confused. As I had time to kill I ended up walking them there and then I took a stroll along the Khan river to get home. I normally don't go this way as it's a bit longer but the night was nice. On the way back home I recognized a beard I knew from somewhere... but where? Maybe from Chengdu about five and a half months earlier. I ran into Betsy and Rick, a couple from Great Britain. Had I not walked those girls to the bar, or stayed with them for drinks or walked back the usual way, then I wouldn't have run into these friends from before. And this does sum up travel, especially when you're on the same routes. (though we were both on way different paths. they went from chengdu > tibet > nepal > india > then their SE Asia countries. and I went a different path). But this is also very Luang Prabang. It's a small city (really a town) where people stay around for longer than planned and seem to always run into someone (you may remember a previous post where I mentioned running into Rachel a girl from the town next to me who I met in Saigon and used to go to my uncle for her dentist. Also, there was a girl at my guesthouse the other day from my home town. weird!)

While talking with Betsy and Rick we ran into a group that I knew half of (a girl from a former guesthouse I stayed in) and they knew the other half (a couple they had met on a boat in Halong Bay).

It's a small small world and in Luang Prabang it's even smaller. And there is something sort of nice about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment