Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Da Nang is da nag

Da Nang is not my favorite city, by a longshot. We got into Da Nang, stayed a night and couldn't wait to get out. Reasons to stay in Da Nang.

1) great banh mi and they are all over the city.
2) null

yes, there really is nothing great about the city. It's overpacked and overpriced. Instead we decided to head south a little bit to a small spot on China Beach called Hoa's Place. Hoa's place is no fancy hotel, rather some very plain and somewhat dirty rooms. So why did we stay for over 2 weeks there when we planned to stay 2 nights? well.... the thing about Hoa's place is that life is so easy here. No uptight hotel people, you're right near the ocean, you're halfway between Da Nang and Hoi An so it's easy to get to both spots, and Hoa is a very nice fellow who understands what most foreign backpacker type people want. The rumor is that the government will be closing down this place, and the other stuff in the neighborhood, to build another luxury beach hotel. The strip is popping with them, yet no one is coming to stay there. Always sad when mom and pop places that are loved by people get closed down for big business.

Something I loved about my time here was the mornings. Kaja and Adam are not always known for waking up early, but I am. So I'd get up and do some yoga on the balcony. After I'd go to the market to buy food for breakfast and/or dinner. This little routine was one of my favorite parts of the day and I hope to continue it on as we progress further.

A business card from the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. They were rude and dishonest. When we left, having paid the original price they quoted us, the girl working the desk said something along the lines of "and you will never stay here again." Um, no problems with that for us.



my first of many avocado smoothies. This will become a routine as I get more south.

Kaja and Adam on the beach in front of Hoa's place.

Every morning we'd have breakfast on the balcony. We'd make our own coffee and sandwiches of fresh veggies from the market or cha (a pressed meat) and pate. Life was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment