Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Train to Lhasa

After Xining I was off to Tibet. Being that I am trying not to fly in order to leave less of a carbon footprint as well as the rumors of the train ride to Lhasa from Xining was a supposed nice ride I boarded train T23 and prepared to meet up with the other members of my Tibet tour already on the train where they started in Chengdu. The ride is a nice and relatively comfortable ride passing through vast open steppe land, Qinghai Lake, many mountains and wild animals grazing on the land. The line includes the Tanggula Pass, which, at 5,072 m (16,640 feet) above sea level, is the world's highest rail track. The carriages are specially built and have an oxygen supply for each passenger as the sudden change in altitude can seriously effect some people.

beginning the journey

sun going down

passing yaks as the sun goes down

sunset over the water

night falls


good morning Qinghai or Tibet!


Oxygen!



This guy would come in every hour or so and try to sell some random crap. creams or fake cigarettes. He was loud and annoying and I greatly enjoyed harassing him.

Demonstrating one of his annoying products.

View from my train window, not too shabby huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment