Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Around Lhasa

In and around Lhasa.

This was a "secret" photo. You aren't allowed to photograph the army or police in Tibet so I took a secret iphone shot from behind Adam's back. You can see a bunch of them on the corner. Lhasa is covered in red army officers. Some were very tolerant of my playfulness, others... not so much. I chose this photo first to make a point about the ridiculousness and intolerance of China to Tibet.

Outside the Jokhang Monastery which is in the middle of Lhasa's main square. All day and night hundreds and thousands of Tibetan Buddhists are outside making prayers. Some in front of the temple, such as here, others circling the whole grounds around the temple (it's no small feat!)

A lot of the food in Lhasa is a mix of chinese, Tibetan and Nepalese. This was a Nepalese yak curry with some very tasty naan. The glass to the back right is chaang, a Tibetan barley alcoholic drink. It's very tasty when fresh.

Cute sheep walking around the streets with horn warmers.. huh???

Drinking Tibetan sweet milk tea with a cute dog. Think chai but minus the spices. I could drink this all day, especially since it's so cold outside. On many of the drives through the countryside we'd see Tibetans just sitting outside talking and drinking this. I plan to learn how to properly make this and add it to my repertoire.

Flying to chengdu (then Kunming). Not a bad view. I really am trying to not fly at all on this trip for ecological reasons but the only way to get to Kunming from Lhasa in a relatively quick time period is flight (few hours). Train takes over 3 days and bus.. maybe weeks. With visa issues and time running out I had to sacrifice and fly. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment