Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day trip to Leshan

I got an email from Jocelyn (see my previous posts about who I crashed with for 1.5 months in mongolia) letting me know that she and her boyfriend Seth would be in Chengdu in a few days and seeing where I was. Where was I? I was in Chengdu. I could not have been more excited to hear this news.

The day after she got into town we headed to Leshan, a town 2 hours away, to see the famous giant buddha there. I know, my avid followers of this blog will wonder how many famous giant buddhas can I see? Well, this one was different entirely, but yes I'm with you and enough giant buddhas already.

On the bus to the buddha we met a school of overly excited kids who really loved playing with us.


One of the cute school kids on the bus.

The giant buddha in all his greatness. See, this is a different style of one.

I got a little frisky with him. Pushing the boundaries of sacrilegiousness as always.

front view

Looking down. gives you some idea of the magnitude of this dude.

carvings on the way down.

looking up at the buddha from the standing base point.

serious looking dude

highlight of the day. A duck in a bag. I couldn't stop playing with him. I kept trying to feed him things (paper, my shoe…) and he would try to eat it. Jocelyn made me take a time out but the whole thing was just so funny, even the chinese people around us were laughing with (or maybe just at) me.


No comments:

Post a Comment