Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Monday, March 15, 2010

bus travels

on a bus traveling to Jinbu from Seoul. clearly a different geographical landscape on the eastern roads of Korea compared with Seoul. Mountains covered in traces of snow surround us as we pass through the valleys beneath. I'm never really sure where i am. I see signs and buildings decorated in characters and words that I don't recognize. But I recognize the nature, and i soak it in as much as i can from the bus. we make the first stop in some town I can't pronounce and will soon forget. I ask the bus driver what time we'll be leaving so that i know if i have time to hit the bathroom and/or get a beverage for the road. of course his lack of english and my lack of korean make this simple question extremely difficult. I chance it and do both with a little time to spare. the next stop is Jinbu, my stop. I arrive and go to the pay phone, what looks to be an old archaic thing. i put the change in, make the call and talk a little before being disconnected. hang up, repeat until i find out that the car is out at the place i'm staying so i am told to take a taxi. I walk to the taxi stand and attempt to tell the ppl there where i need to go which ends up with me pointing the phone # i have and having them call the place to find out where the heck i need to go. 17,000 won later and i'm at the "farm." this farm is actually a small hotel, however it's off season so no guests here. I'm a little confused on what work i'll need to do but am hoping small carpentry and help with cooking will be needed. hey, a guy can dream right? wood and food skills are two things i wish to learn more about.

after arriving i get a small tour, take a well needed jetlagged nap and then get woken up for dinner. a white bean broth soup and various panchan (small dishes). i make small talk with the host family, as small talk is all we both only know or are able to get by with with each of our litle knowledge of the others language.

now it's time to sleep for the night, and see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment