Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

delay in posts.

So I know I've been in Vietnam for a few weeks and haven't really posted too much. Partly because I'm traveling by bike so can't really take pictures while driving. Also, I'm sort of in a funk of taking pictures. Luckily my travel mates, Adam and Kaja, have been taking some pictures, so i plan to pilfer from them. hehe. I'll try to get something up sooner or later.

To sum up most of my time here so far I think I could say cold and wet. When I was here in summer of 2007 it was hot and humid. Now winter 2011 it's always raining, always grey and there's always a chill in the air or cold wind blowing through. We're waiting to get more south as south is where it should be warmer. I remember sitting on the beach in Hoi An and loving life. I haven't seen sun in so many days (is it perma-pollution or just nasty weather) but am hoping Hoi An is like how I remember it, sunny!

Tonight, we got caught in a nasty rain storm. We tried to make it from Dong Hoi to Hue but had to stop in Dong Ha for the night because the rain was too much. Driving in Vietnam is like nothing you can imagine. I was mere cm's away from being hit by a truck who was passing another truck. I was driving in the motorcycle lane (in the states this is the breakdown lane) and he came that close to me from the other side of the road. This is common here. There is no defensive driving, just offensive (pun intended). But it's also invigorating, and it's great having a bike to get around and not cramped buses. Granted my bike has a different problem everyday (something I hope to fix in Hue) it's still nice.

signing off from Dong Ha (and hoping to be in Hue for tet)

love to y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment