Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Vinh, and Uncle Ho's birth house

We headed down to the next big city on AH1 (the main highway that runs from north to south), Vinh. In Vinh we met up with a couchsurfer named Hien. Hien showed us around the town, took us for good eats, and to the birthplace of Ho Chi Minh. She also helped us find a cheap hotel where no one really spoke english but, ironically, the owner spoke russian and so does Kaja so the language in conversations would sometimes go vietnamese > russian > english.

Our first Banh Xeo, different in each province. It's a crepe like pancake filled with veggies and sometimes shrimp and/or pork. Mixed in your bowl with a peanut sauce and fresh veggies and herbs.

The peoples Sqaure in Vinh with a very lit up statue of Uncle Ho.

Kem (ice cream) for desert. Of course I get the flamboyant blue drink.

At a coffee shop. was very cool as there were some youngsters (early 20's) playing vietnamese folky music on guitars and singing. I have no idea what I'm sucking on here.

adam and kaja at the coffee shop. Adam's face is silly on purpose, Kaja's... maybe not so much. :) (and yes, if she finds I posted this, I'm dead)

Hien, in the middle, was our lovely tour guide. She took us with her friends to Ho Chi Minh's birthhouse. This was at a museum nearby.

riding with my first passenger.

peace


having fun with the local authorities.

Uncle Ho's birth house. Reconstructed, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment