Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Road Trip to Bumthang

I was requested to travel with guests out to Bumthang, the farthest lodge.  Last time that I was there I was flown out privately by the guest, this time I drove. I was excited for the drive as it would let me see a lot of the country I had not seen before.  The down part was that it would be a 10+ hour drive.  A good point was that it would also give me a chance to stop at Dung-Dung, a restaurant I had heard about for a long time that was supposed to be the best in the country.  I ordered the yakpa which is a strip of yak, semi jerkied and mine had a lot of tendon with it.  Loving to eat tendon I was happy.  The ezay (a chopped chili garnish) was delicious here, spicy with a hint of pickling and they had nice ema datse (chili and cheese).  After lunch we got back in the car and continued on the way.  About an hour later we saw a group of langurs, monkeys with white hair and dark faces.  I had no idea they lived here and was so excited.  They were cute and so interesting to look at. We actually had a great wild animal day as we also saw a Himalayan Griffon Vulture soaring through the air and then perching high on a tree. And later we saw a bunch of brown monkeys.  One of the monkeys even got in a fight with a dog, which was pretty amusing to watch. (neither animal was hurt).  The gate picture near the bottom is the top of a pass which separates the east and west of Bhutan.  And the car in the last picture was cool as well, it was an "explosive truck."  A truck that must have contained a lot of explosive materials, probably used to help break up rocks in order to make new roads.  All in all it was a good drive.  When we arrived at the lodge, the king had also just arrived there for tea with guests.  Unfortunately I was unable to meet him. :(
















No comments:

Post a Comment