Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Black Village - Baan Si Dam

Being in Chiang Mai for a few days before my massage course started I decided to head up to Chiang Rai to see the White Temple and the Black Village. Both are considered sacred places but also are seen as art installations.

Nearly completely opposite from the White Temple is the Black Village. Though both are very beautiful, the Black Village is... well pardon the french... but fucked up. It's gorgeous and inspiring in many ways, but it's also so freaky. Apocalyptic in ways and there is the feel of someone who did way too much acid and saw some out there shit.

The main room houses an art gallery of sorts for mostly Thai artists but also from all around the globe. (or at least around Asia).  Almost like a taxidermist gone wrong, each house has bones or horns or skins/hides of various animals.  One thing I really liked about the Black Village was how tactile it was. You could get your hands on a lot of things and many rooms which looked closed off were actually open to be walked around in or opened up.

For me there was too much to really digest in just one visit and I don't think I even got to see every house/room. But what I did see I enjoyed. It's a must see for anyone in the area.



























No comments:

Post a Comment