Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My time in Kunming

I left Yangshuo to head west to Kunming where I was to visit with my friend Liam. I met Liam in Busan, where we were both couchsurfing with the same host. From the minute we met, we hit it off like old friends or lost relatives and I was excited to get to spend time with him again. Truthfully, I wasn't wowed by Kunming at first. I mean, it's sort of a typical chinese big city except it doesn't have the sites that Beijing, Shanghai, or Xi'an (for example) have. But in time, and partly with Liam's guidance, the city grew on me a little bit more.

One of my first dishes in town. Liam suggested getting Korean, something I always enjoy eating. As you may know from previous posts, jajangmen is one of my favorite korean/chinese dishes. I was excited to get it here, especially since it was raining outside and on rainy days with Mr Kim in Korea, we'd go for this dish.

Liam and I on the bus, acting like fools. The chinese people did not know what to do with us.

A nice post halloween sunday brunch on Liam's roof.

After teaching yoga in the park to Liam and Rosa, they proceeded to lounge around in the trees before a nice long walk.

Lotus's in one section of Green Lake.

Kunming's famous over the bridge noodles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_bridge_noodles
This was a before dunking in the ingredients.

and this was after mixing everything and adding chili.

An old town of Kunming, not like the rest of the city which is becoming more "modern" every minute.

Liam teaching one of his classes. I got to assist in teaching for a few of the classes and had a really great time with it.

delicious noodles

Halloween costumes. Liam, clearly the guy from Clockwork Orange. Me? well, I through together this costume quick. I was supposed to be an old chinese grandmother. It's probably a bit funnier if you live in china and see these old lady's always wearing the same type of clothes, walking the same way (hands behind the back and hunched) and usually sweeping up something or another regardless if sweeping is needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment