Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Quick Visit To Sikkim

I had 5 days where work was going to be very low so was given the opportunity to leave the lodge and go somewhere else before the christmas rush. It was either go do a trek or two or see part of India, as it's right next door. As the weather had been getting very cold I felt that a trek would not be such a great idea and decided to go see Sikkim. Sikkim was once a kingdom of it's own rule but now falls under India's governance. I had heard it was a lot like Bhutan so I wanted to check out what it was.  I went to Gangtok, the capital, for two nights and though it was slightly similar in the way the land and some of the people looked, the way the area felt was completely different. More Indian... pushy and cramped. Though one very nice thing was the views of Kanchenjunga, the world's third highest peak. I found it truly so beautiful the way the peak came out of the down crested mountaintops in front of it. I climbed up to a temple on the peak of the town and just stared at Kanchenjunga for quite some time. I found it mesmerising and inspirational.

Another high point was finding the chili momo. This was a cheese dumpling set cooked in a spicy red sauce covered with onions and tomatoes as well. Absolutely deliciousness!




No comments:

Post a Comment