Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thanks, but really I'm already full

Of course how do you tell that to a lady who doesn't speak English and you speak minimal Lao?

I had been home for about 30minutes and was watching a movie on my laptop when I heard. "Andy." 15 second pause. "Andy." Very faint and I was absorbed in the movie but I gradually realized Siphon, the wife of my neighbor was calling my name. "Andy, khao poon." I went outside and there she was with a fresh bowl of khao poon, a dish I like and had mentioned to them the other night was one of my favorite dishes in Laos. In fact, in my first days of Laos I thought the food here was shit, except for khao poon. But I had just eaten a large amount of sticky rice and a small catfish (I did share some of this with Leon, the dog). I wasn't close to hungry and putting more food inside of me actually sounded horrible, but for me to refuse would be rude. I thought about saving it for breakfast but it wouldn't last or be good at all reheated. I tried to tell her that I was full, that I had just eaten a lot of sticky rice but I was so very tired and converting words in my head from English to Lao wasn't happening. So I ended up taking the food to be polite. Worse, I ended up eating it even though I was full because, well, it was in front of me and I like the dish.  Sure, I shared some with Leon as well because, well, he eats any and everything. (let's hope i write a blog about a day in the life of leon's eating schedule, it would be fantastic).

I spent the evening before attending a new exhibit at one of the museums in town and then walking across the street to a new exhibit at the art gallery in town (how hi-society of me, i know.)  These events brought out many of the foreigners living in town. Luang Prabang is INCREDIBLY cliquey, and so with all these people out an about you could see where the allegiances lie. I was upset with it and this made me upset with this town because I'm idealist and why can't we all get along. Why??? And so I was upset and full and was so happy to stay in at the house with just me and Leon. Much easier and more fun to be angry alone and do nothing about it, right?  So why did Siphon have to come over and generously offer me her food and help me remember again one of the reasons that I first fell in love with this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment