Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I ran out of gas..

I ran out of gas last night when driving home from dinner. It was later at night, around 10:30 and the gas stations close at 7pm. Luckily it's a small town and I had maybe a 10 minute walk to get home. Maybe 2minutes into the journey of me pushing my bike I head an, "ahn-dee." I turn around and see a Lao person I don't recognize. But I meet a lot of  people and after a while they look and sound the same, whereas I am a 6'4"/193cm tall white dude. I stand out a bit you could say. He could tell I was puzzled and so he said, "touy (pronounced toy-ee) and I realized that he was one the neighborhood guys who plays petanque behind my house. His helmet was blocking his face so I couldn't fully recognize him initially.  He offered to push-drive me home and at first I didn't want to but then realized it would be easier and fun.  So off we went, me sitting on the bike and him driving with his foot on the back of my bike.  Near the house I asked him to let go and as I coasted down the street with the wind brushing my face I felt a sense of joy and happiness that gets lost on travel when you stay in the same place for too long.  It was a simple and kind gesture from a friendly person and something I've sort of also lost track of since, to me, most of the Lao people treat me more as a dollar sign than a human. A reminder that all walks of life have bad traits among them but there is also good and we need to find those and hold tight to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment