Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Slow Boat to Pakbeng

I had to get out of Laos as my visa was expiring and the only way to get a new one is to leave the country and then come back. Rather than make the costly trip to Thailand only to spend an hour on the other side and then come back, I figured I'd go to Thailand to do something a bit more productive with my time. I went to learn thai massage. With Steph, my friend from home in Luang Prabang but also heading to Chiang Mai, we hopped on a slow boat from LP to Pakbeng, Laos. A 10+ hour boat ride that creeps along the Mekong. A beautiful and peaceful day. When we arrived at sunset in Pakbeng, I wrote these words down.

After a 11hour boat ride up the Mekong we pulled into Pak Beng in the near pitch dark night and I sat smiling thinking to myself "this is my life and I love it."

And I do!



Steph, sleeping on the boat. She probably won't be to happy that I posted this.


we had some engine problems. here they are using electrical tape, rubber and a hose to fix things.

I got hungry so they let me make "mok pet" in the back of the boat. mashed (usually smoked first) chili peppers, garlic and salt. Even on slow boats I can have fun with food.

Steph and me, sharing tunes and having a good time on the boat

creeping up the Nam Kong (Mekong)

fog in the distance

sunsets over the river.


No comments:

Post a Comment