Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Days in the Gangtey Valley

Before finishing up my third term in Bhutan I had an obligation to train spa staff in Gangtey and Bumthang. I hadn't been to Gangtey since early March and was happy to explore the valley a little more as well as relaxing in a traditional hot stone bath, something I had never done before but referred many people to with positive feedback in return.  On my first day there I was treated to go try out a farmhouse we used to use for lunches that had revamped some things and wanted feedback on it.  So I was "forced" to eat local food and try some new things and some old familiar ones.  Though not as delicious as the farmhouse we use in Bumthang, it was still charming.  We took a longer roundabout way back by walking  through the valley instead of driving back on the road.  I did my training when I got back to the lodge and then was whisked away to my hot stone bath.  Truly an exquisite setup and phenomenal experience, as with most of the things Aman does. Tucked inside right next to a traditional potato shed is the tub.  Big stones are heated on a fire and when ready placed slowly into a side compartment. Local herbs are soaking in the pool to disperse their natural remedies. Outside just below, cows are grazing. In front is a long valley corridor where the sun soon begins to set through. Nightfall slowly creeps in and before you know it, it's pitch black and (if there aren't clouds) stars shine above.  One little mistake I made was to not get out more frequently. I did make sure to drink lots of water but exiting every 15minutes is also helpful. I got up to pee after about 90 minutes and while urinating I fainted, hitting my head on a stone behind me (and subsequently twisting some leg muscles which took me out of my yoga practice for nearly a month). Hitting my head on the stone woke me up, and though I was dazed, confused and in some pain I couldn't help but laugh at my situation.  When I was ok and less dizzy I got back into the tub and soaked for another 90 minutes or so. Hoping it would heal my leg, as well as sitting in the bath just feels really great.

The following day on my way back to Thimphu I was fortunate enough to see a beautiful deer hopping along the road. It was too difficult to get a photo but I was excited as it was my first dear seen in Bhutan.  Also we came across some langurs playing in the road, and those things just look so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment