Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Trip to Gelephu

Before leaving Bhutan this time I had planned to make a little journey to see some places I had not seen during prior stays.  I really had my intent to go see Manas National Park as it sounds to be full of natural wonders and beauty and the chance to see a tiger in the wilderness excited me.  Unfortunately I didn't get the time and the infrastructure around Manas is not so developed. Next time, I hope.  But I did head down to Gelephu, a border town to the Assam border of India and right next to Manas. I thought it'd be nice to see something different. The town itself is very quaint and simple but if you go north of the city by about 10minute drive you can come to the beginning of some beautiful jungle that I imagine will lead you inot Manas.  Inside of here you'll find a small hotspring. In the winter I'm told it's packed with people. However as I was there in summer, there was barely anyone there. On the way back to Gelephu to head back north I cam across my first Golden Langur, a truly beautiful animal.  Shortly after we'd see some red monkeys (which I had trouble getting on camera.)  The road is pretty beautiful, and well paved but right before you reach Wangdi the road turns to shit as there is much work going on there. Building of a hydro-electro power plant.  The tunnels in the sides of the mountain and other equipment around the area made it feel as if it was from some James Bond movie. It's a long journey to get to Gelephu and I don't recommend it for just one day for tourists but if you had more time and knowledge of Manas, then it'd be a very nice trip.





























No comments:

Post a Comment