Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Kecak - Monkey Dance

Years ago at Burning Man I had the opportunity to take part in what is known as "Monkey Dance." A fun call and response type of exercise/ trance "game" for groups to play.  If you've ever seen the movie "Baraka" you may have seen a bit of it when the indonesians are going back and forth with scatting like noises and leaning back on each other. It's an incredibly fun and challenging activity to take part in.  In Bali now, I thought I'd check the dance out.  Kecak is what they do on Bali and I learned (after) that what it is is a combination of traditional Balinese dancing and noises told to a classic Indian tale.  So it's not as trance like or as interactive, but it was a nice and different thing to see. It did go a little long for me, with the jet-lag especially but I'm glad I got to see it.  Now, if I can only find some real monkey dance troupes while I'm still here.

















No comments:

Post a Comment