Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

This really sums up Laos to me


“We will have an urgent meeting between the four operators next week to find a solution.”

My phone hasn't worked properly in a week.  I could call people on my network but not others. Turns out there are 4 telecom companies in Laos and my provider pissed the others off so they all cut service to my provider, Beeline/Tigo.  Finally, I switched to a new provider but as no one knew what was really happening I decided to do a little research. I found out the reason and found the above line sort of hysterical and totally Laos. 

Think about it. Ok, you're a major provider and your customers can't use their phones how they want to. They can't contact most people they would like to but everyone else can. You really think they'll wait it out when sim cards and minutes elsewhere are cheaper and work? (well, yeah... it's Laos and so they probably would because common sense hardly comes into play here on any issue, but that's besides the point) Instead of fixing it soon you wait another week. How many people out there think of the word "urgent" and then think "yeah, next week works." Urgent means soon, means get it done now. Of course, except in Lao. Land of the kii kaan (lazy in lao language). 

And they wonder why things just never get done here. But then again, they also just don't care.  Baw pen nyung, man, don't worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment