Here now and now here or nowhere

The title of this blog comes from a play on words that "now here" is also the same letters as "nowhere" just with a space added in the middle. I am always trying to get better at being in the here and now, and I've always been a bit of a joker so that is why I chose this name.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Rice Experience

A few weeks ago a friend of mine invited me to go to "The Rice Experience." She is in charge of volun-tourists (people doing voluntourism) and her group got offered to help demo the program.  The Rice Experience is a new tourist activity that is almost ready to be open to the public here in Luang Prabang. And it's right up my alley.  The Rice Experience takes you through the 14 phases of rice development, with eating being step 14 (a step I have mastered.)

One of the things I had hoped to learn while in Asia, and especially on my farm work, was about rice development. I eat a lot of the product and by product but never knew how it was grown, harvested, produced, eaten.  Well, I knew the last part.  This program shows and involves you in all the stages.  From pushing Susan (their albino water buffalo) in the mud to til the land, to planting sprouts, to chopping stalks, to shaking the shit out of the rice. The Rice Experience does it all.  And it's SUPER fun. Learning and entertainment, hand and hand.  I have to say, I had a great time with Susan only I was a little sad as she was pregnant with a month to go before birthing which meant I couldn't ride on top of her. boooo!.

Besides The Rice Experience, the Living Lands area also has an organic garden and they are growing some great veggies. (Heeellllllooooo beets!!!!)

If you're in town, try to take this exhibit. It was a super fun time.


































No comments:

Post a Comment